Monday, February 9, 2009

Advanced handicraft


So exciting! Last week I finished my first "faja". The colours are all natural, extracted from Peruvian plants and trees. The red is made from the small insects you find in the Tuna cactus.


This is my third faja, it is already one step more advanced. In order to get the patterns you have to pick the strings one by one. There are five different combinations that you repeat over and over again. The work takes ages, and you really need to concentrate to get the right pattern. The experience makes you respect the local weavers even more than before,you will propably never bargain again no matter what price they ask you to pay :D.



This weekend I am leaving my room, packing my bags and heading to north again. I will spend the next month in Tumbes, something like work holiday. The idea is to slowly start a handicraft workshop for the local women there, and I am going there to see the starting part. At the same time I want to learn dyeing with natural colours. We will be surrounded by nature, so there is a huge variety of colours right in our backyard. 

Yesterday was kind of my last sunday at the handicraft workshop. I say kind of, because I´m going back there in March after my trip to Tumbes. I´m so happy to see how the same women join the group every sunday, this means they are really commiting their time to it. And it makes me relieved to hear that another Finn is going to continue the work; Saija did her voluntary service in La Casa de Panchita last year, and has come back for another 6 months, though not to Panchita. Although she won´t be able to spend all her sundays at the workshop, it was so great to hear she would help there every now and then! 

And talking about advanced handicraft, for my last day I got a beautiful present from my friend Zenayda, who also sent some of her products to Finland last Christmas. And you will see more in Maailma kylässä-festival which will be held in May in Helsinki.



4 comments:

Lhungile said...

arvaa kenet saat heti ekana oppilaaksesi :)

ihanaa että olet tulossa kohta takas..!!! ikävä on jo ollut suurensuuri.

Mersu said...

Jeeeeeee!!!! Ihana tulla takas. Tehdään sulle kans tollaset palikat, mennään kesällä jokirantaan istumaan ja pistetään langat puuhun kiinni. Siinähän ois kulttuuriperformanssia :)

Marsu said...

Voi vitsi! Aikamoista! Tehkaa toisetki palikat ja ma oon elokuussa kans siel jokirannassa..katotaan viel Guatemalas uusia kuvioita kun tuut! :)

Marsu said...

Nyt kaivattais uutta blogimerkintaa siita miten menee siella pohjosen perukoilla kasityoprojektin kanssa?